Friends, Parents and Students:
The Project ENRICH Staff would like to thank you for your support and participation in the Career Showcase on January 10. The untimely fire alarm that went off was a challenge but the collective group persevered through it. It is a team effort to make this event a reality and I want to thank Ms. Yolanda Hicks for her hard work. Here are some items we need your input:
1. Parents and Students please provide feedback (positive or negative) of the event, email@example.com. We need your feedback to shape continuous process improvement of this event.
2. Students and parents please provide some professionals you would like to see in the next showcase.
3. As a follow up to the Career Showcase, Ms. Hicks has made arrangements for a Follow Up visit with Ultra Electronics 3eTI. Mr. Benga was excited to present to students and is providing an opportunity for more detailed information with respect to Cybersecurity, Information Technology and Computer Science. The company is located in Rockville, Maryland. This is the initial data call to recruit students to attend the STEM worshop at Ultra Electronics (Rockville). This will be conducted during a school day, a date or the hours have not been determined. More logistics to follow. We are looking for students specifically interested in Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or Cybersecurity. The invite is for all high school students. We are looking for Sophomores and Juniors but will take advanced Freshmen. I will work with Ms. Hicks to get a flyer to circulate. Mr. Benga is a very serious businessman, we welcome the opportunity afforded us and Project ENRICH Staff desire to bring enthusiastic students to the workshop interested in STEM (IT, Engineering, Computer Science and Cybersecurity).
4. February 14, yes Valentine's Day, is our next session of Project ENRICH. We will have a portion of the session dedicated to Black History. It is our goal to have panels consisting of our students discussing issues that affect our youth. Stay tuned, I will be making calls to look for volunteers or draft students.
5. All students should be engaged in some phase of drafting their respective essays. Please put some time and energy into the essay. Utilize all resources to draft the essay. Your English teachers, parents, counselors or Team Leads can provide valuable feedback and proofread. We expect a high level of writing.
Friends, parents and students I am excited to announce the return of Project ENRICH to Bowie State University. The December 14 Session will commence at 9 am at the Thurgood Marshall Library Auditorium. Bowie State University provides our students the opportunity to experience a college/university firsthand. December’s Session will have financial aid workshop, lectures on building your scholastic portfolio and college preparatory activities for team building.
The Project ENRICH staff is looking forward to hearing from parents and students regarding the college application process/acceptance, college tours, career fairs and scholastic trips. Public speaking is a chief cornerstone of Project ENRICH and we expect to see a number of volunteers.
Parents and students, please make sure you read this article from The Huffington Post on 08/15/ 2012, "Cost of a college degree has increased 1,120 percent in 30 years". The article says that soaring tuition and shrinking incomes are making college less affordable and putting the middle class at risk. We need more college graduates in order to stay competitive in the global economy. There is no greater threat to our future and most importantly our children's future than rising college education costs. What are the steps/solutions to mitigate this problem? College costs is actually our theme for December's Project ENRICH. This article is quite timely.
How did you like the Black History Month program and the possible impact of Nannie Helen Burroughs on your life?
Project ENRICH is an invaluable tool to help students develop their college list. What specifically do you want to get out of Project ENRICH this year?
"it must be borne in mind that the tragedy of life does not lie in not reaching your goal.
The tragedy of life lies in having no goal to reach."
Benjamin E. Mays